The Media Center features an exciting work environment for those who bring initiative, people-skills, and a passion for building community.
Interim Executive Director
24/30 hours per week
Position Available 2/1/2017
After 27 years of service, Executive Director Annie Folger will be retiring January 31, 2017. The Midpen Board seeks a temporary Interim Executive Director while the Search Committee recruits the next permanent Executive Director. Please send resume and cover letter to Board President Barbara Noparstak by January 8, 2017. Our outgoing Executive Director is departing 1/31/2017 and we would prefer an overlap of two-three days if possible.
Position Available 2/1/2017
Midpen Media Center is searching for an experienced Interim Executive Director (IED) to manage staff and operations while the Board of Directors searches for our next leader. The Interim Executive Director (IED) will manage the existing staff of Full Time Equivalents (FTE) and volunteers to maintain high quality service delivery and diverse programming. The organization has 13.6 FTEs (not including the Executive Director): 7 full-time and 30 part-time employees and contractors, with an annual budget of $1.2M. The IED may interface, as appropriate, with the public, local government, educational institutions, community leaders, donors, businesses, and other individuals and organizations. Our outgoing Executive Director is departing 1/31/2017 and we would prefer an overlap of two-three days if possible.
Established in 1990, the award winning Midpeninsula Community Media Center (Midpen Media) is a 501(c)3 public benefit corporation with a mission to inform, inspire and empower people to speak and act on behalf of their communities, to use television and the Internet to create and distribute programs that promote and celebrate individual expression, local achievements, education, cultural exchange, arts appreciation and civic engagement.
With a beautiful, welcoming and safe green-certified facility, including a professional HD TV studio, Midpen Media is located in the heart of Silicon Valley on San Antonio Road in Palo Alto. Midpen Media manages five public and government cable TV channels, with simultaneous webcast streams. In addition, we partner with two other media centers and community colleges to program a sixth regional educational channel that reaches over 400,000 homes from Atherton through San Jose.
Our vision is to provide all residents in our service area (Atherton, East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Stanford and unincorporated portions of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties) the opportunity to have a voice by providing tools, training, distribution platforms, and a wealth of quality programming. We believe this enables multicultural inclusivity and builds significant social capital in our community. Midpen Media offers regular workshops in video production to the public and provides an array of production services to nonprofits, cities, schools, other organizations and individuals that desire to produce affordable content for public access.
Our website is: http://midpenmedia.org/
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Interim Executive Director (IED) will manage the existing staff of FTE and volunteers to maintain high quality service delivery and diverse programming. The organization has 13.6 FTEs (not including the Executive Director): 7 full-time and 30 part-time employees and contractors, with an annual budget of $1.2M. The IED may interface with the public, local government, educational institutions, community leaders, donors, businesses, and other individuals and organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
• Provide leadership and direction to maintain the execution of Midpen Media’s philosophy, mission, and its annual goals and objectives.
• Implement all established policies, procedures, and strategic plans, reporting regularly to the Board of Directors on progress.
• Maintain staff career development through coaching and mentorship and cross-training. Foster a climate of supportive collaboration and high performance encouraging team cohesion within the organization.
• Maintain and cultivate collaborations with other community organizations, government and businesses.
• If appropriate, pursue and incorporate additional revenue sources through a variety of channels consistent with the mission of the organization, e.g. paid production services, grant-writing and additional development opportunities.
• Communicate regularly with the Midpen Media Board.
• Manage communications within the organization to ensure focused effort, prioritized initiatives, and well-coordinated activities.
• Maintain Midpen partnerships with school districts, funding organizations, other media and arts groups, and community leaders.
• Maintain the Midpen relationship with members of the Joint Powers Authority (JPA) working group (representatives of the cities and counties in our service area).
Planning and Execution
• Collaborate with the Board and staff to administer the annual budget.
• Monitor and work with staff to execute fiscal, administrative, and studio policies and procedures to meet operational and financial targets.
• Oversee the financial audit.
Education and Experience
• BA or BS degree (or higher) from an accredited college, university, or equivalent.
• At least 10 years of work experience with five or more years as an executive director or the equivalent. Must have demonstrated leadership and management success.
• Experience working with local government agencies, educators, businesses, and community-based organizations.
Knowledge and Skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of financial budgeting, planning, and managing organization(s).
• Basic familiarity with non-profit revenue models and best practices.
• Human resource and management skills, including hiring, development, and performance management. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Able to reach and work well with diverse groups and individuals providing a safe venue for discussions of divergent ideas and opinions.
• Able to establish, articulate, and maintain effective organizational and operational priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate, resolve conflicts and solve problems.
• A proactive, passionate, and continuous learner who knows how to respond to change, work smart and have fun!
• Previous experience as an Executive Director Interim ED
• Demonstrated ability to work creatively and effectively with a volunteer Board of Directors and a variety of committees and individuals.
• Experience with municipal and non-profit fiscal administration and financial management.
• Experience with grant writing, fundraising, and non-profit revenue generation..
• Experience in cultivating strategic relationships.
• Interest in the cable TV and community media field.
• Familiarity with facility management, training, and use/maintenance of production equipment.
• An understanding of the people and cultural composition of communities similar to the Midpeninsula.
This position description should not be construed to imply that it is comprehensive. The IED may be asked to perform other related duties as directed by the Board in fulfillment of Midpen Media’s mission.
If interested and available for this position, please contact Board President Barbara Noparstak for detailed job description and/or to submit resume and availability.
Midpen Media is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity, inclusion, respect, integrity, innovation, and excellence in service to our members and the community.