The Media Center features an exciting work environment for those who bring initiative, people-skills, and a passion for building community.
Midpen Community Media Center (Midpen Media) seeks an energetic, collaborative and compassionate leader with exceptional management and business development experience and great team building skills to strategically advance the mission of Midpen Media. Our mission is to inform, inspire and empower people to speak and act on behalf of their communities, to use television and the Internet to create and distribute programs that promote and celebrate individual expression, local achievements, education, cultural exchange, arts appreciation and civic engagement.
Established in 1990, the award winning Midpeninsula Community Media Center is a 501(c)3 public benefit corporation. With a beautiful, welcoming, safe and green-certified facility, including a professional HD TV studio, Midpen Media is located in the heart of Silicon Valley on San Antonio Road in Palo Alto. Midpen Media manages five public and government cable TV channels, with simultaneous webcast streams. In addition, we partner with two other media centers and community colleges to program a sixth regional educational channel that reaches over 400,000 homes from Atherton through San Jose.
Our vision is to provide all residents in our service area (Atherton, East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Stanford and unincorporated portions of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties) the opportunity to have a voice by providing tools, training, distribution platforms, and a wealth of quality programming. We believe this enables multicultural inclusivity and builds significant social capital in our community. Midpen Media offers regular workshops in video production to the public and provides an array of professional production services to non-profits, cities, schools, corporations and individuals.
About the Position
The Executive Director will provide overall leadership and management of the organization, and is responsible for its operations, financial health and execution of strategic direction. This individual must also inspire and manage a high performing team to ensure effective service delivery as well as the quality and range of programming. The ED reports to the Board of Directors and must work effectively in a team environment, interacting well with the public as well as local government, educational institutions, community leaders, donors, businesses, and other individuals and organizations. The organization has eight (8) full-time and thirty (30) part-time employees and consultants, with an annual budget of $1.2M. The Executive Director would have seven (7) direct reports. Success will be measured by increased financial sustainability and continued high quality service to meet the changing needs of the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Provide innovative leadership and direction to effectively execute Midpen Media’s philosophy, mission, and its annual goals and objectives.
- Pursue and broaden earned revenue streams, for example paid production services.
- Work with the members of the Joint Powers Authority (JPA) working group (representatives of the cities and counties in our service area) to negotiate the JPA Agreement prior to renewal, and work with staff to implement the scope of services and other requirements.
- Explore and cultivate strategic partnerships with other community organizations, government and businesses.
- Build cultural awareness and team cohesion within the organization to foster a climate of supportive collaboration and high performance.
- Collaborate with board and staff to prioritize objectives in the strategic plan and implement all established policies and procedures.
- Develop staff through coaching, mentoring, career development and cross-training.
- Engage Midpen Media services to bridge the digital divide in our service area.
- Stay informed of trends, issues, events, and developments within the community media field through professional contacts, conferences, board affiliations, trade associations, peer interactions, and other environmental scanning.
- Develop communications and marketing strategies, and oversee execution of marketing, public relations and social media campaigns.
- Plan and implement effective and consistent communications within the organization to ensure focused effort, prioritized initiatives, and well-coordinated activities.
Operations and Finance
- Spearhead administrative, financial, and personnel operations, including:
- Preparing and administering an annual budget
- Monitoring and following responsible fiscal procedures and policies
- Overseeing and working with staff to ensure effective operations of MidPen Media.
- Clearly articulating and interpreting the organization’s financial statements including the 990, Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet
- Ensuring there is a relationship between programmatic objectives and available resources
- Ensuring the appropriate negotiation and successful fulfillment of all contracts
- Supporting an environment of transparency and accountability surrounding the organization’s financial position
- Working with staff to ensure the achievement of all operational and financial targets
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant employment laws an all other legal requirements
- Improve and consistently enhance all services offered
- Plan and prepare to add or modify services to best serve the community.
Community Relations and Advocacy
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for Midpen Media to the press and at public events.
- Advocate at the local, state and national level to design and implement strategies to preserve PEG services.
- Maintain close working relationships with members of the JPA, the Midpen Media Board, and other constituents, including, but not limited to, higher educational institutions, school districts, funding organizations, other media and arts groups, and community leaders.
- Promote the multicultural environment that exists in Midpen Media services area by listening to and communicating with a diversity of opinions.
- Pursue and broaden additional funding sources through a variety of channels consistent with the mission of the organization, e.g. grant-writing, annual giving letter to donors and additional fundraising activities.
- Work with the board to ensure a sustainable funding base for the organization; set fundraising goals, create strategies and targets for all donor segments with particular attention to growing unrestricted support from individuals and other sources; and communicate goals, strategies and progress to the board and staff.
- Keep the Board President and Executive Committee informed of Midpen Media’s operations and any critical matters; provide timely and concise financial and fundraising assessments.
- Act as liaison between the board and community organizations, public bodies, funding sources and other entities.
- In partnership with the Board President, coordinate efforts of various board committees and task forces; develop board meeting agendas, schedules, retreats and other activities; develop and recommend policies and procedures as requested by the board of directors; implement approved board policies, program goals and objectives.
- Assist the board in identifying and recruiting new members whose talents, backgrounds and commitment are aligned with Midpen Media’s mission.
Education and Experience:
- BA or BS degree (or higher) from an accredited college, university, or equivalent.
- At least 10 years of work experience with five or more years in upper management with P & L responsibility. Must have demonstrated leadership and management success.
- Experience working with local government agencies, educators, small businesses, corporations and community-based organizations.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial budgeting, planning, and managing organization(s).
- Human resource development skills, including hiring, development, and performance management. Ability to build and lead great teams.
- A desire to positively impact the community and improve public dialogue through access to communications media.
- Ability to reach and work well with diverse groups and individuals, as well as integrate divergent ideas and opinions.
- Ability to connect with and present to various internal and external constituents, including but not limited to business, academic, community and government organizations.
- Ability to develop and sustain a clarity of vision and strategic focus; ability to balance competing demands well; an effective planner who can establish, articulate, and maintain effective organizational and operational priorities.
- Basic familiarity with and/or willingness to quickly learn non-profit revenue models and best practices.
- Interest in, awareness of, and/or willingness to quickly learn and become adept at navigating the cable TV and community media field, including federal, state and local cable regulations, program production, and operating rule.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, resolve conflicts and solve problems,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A proactive, passionate, and continuous learner who knows how to respond to change, work smart and have fun!
- An advanced or graduate degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field.
- Skilled in municipal and non-profit fiscal administration and financial management.
- Familiarity with facility management, training, and use/maintenance of production equipment.
- Management experience in the nonprofit and corporate sectors.
- An understanding of the people and cultural composition of communities similar to the Mid-Peninsula.
- Ability to work creatively and effectively with a volunteer Board of Directors and a variety of committees and individuals.
- Experience in cultivating strategic relationships.
This position description should not be construed to imply that it is comprehensive. The ED may be asked to perform other related duties as directed by the Board in fulfillment of Midpen Media’s mission.
Compensation will be competitive with similar non-profit organizations regionally and commensurate with background and experience. Medical benefits are provided.
Expressions of interest must be submitted to email@example.com NO LATER THAN Monday, May 9. All submissions should include a cover letter, current resume and current salary.
MIdpen Media is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity, inclusion, respect, integrity, innovation, and excellence in service to our members and the community.