- Create a Consistent, Sensible and Meaningful Program Title
Title the video file as follows with no spaces: Program Name_Episode # (if relevant)_Episode Title
(if relevant) Examples:
- Fill Out the Program Playback Form
Once we have your form and media we will schedule your program. The form comes is two options:
•Online form (preferred option) midpenmedia.org/make-tv/producer-tips-forms/televise-program/
•Paper form is available in the box in reception and in the Control Room. Put completed form in the box in reception along with any physical media you have
- Submit Media in an Acceptable Format
•Physical Media- Accepted forms are:
- Playable DVD
- DVCam tape
- Mini DV tape
- •Digital Files – From Studio Productions (no edits.) Transferred by staff directly from the Studio Tricaster to our server as an MP4 file.
• Edited Digital Files – Studio Productions that go into post and ALL field productions. Export at resolution: 720p 60 OR 1080i. Once you have one of these two resolutions, the desired codecs and file wrappers are:
- • MPEG4 File – packaged as .MP4 or .MOV file. Video codec is H.264 aka AVC at 7-15 Mbps data rate. Audio codec is AAC
- • MPEG2 File – packaged as .MPG or .MOV file. Video codec is MPEG2 at 10-20 Mbps data rate. Audio codec is AAC or MPEG1
- • Standard Definition 480i
- Delivering a Digital File
- • From any Midpen Media Center classroom computer, you can transfer a file directly. Instructions are posted in the classroom.
- •Drop off a flash drive that is labeled with your name
- •Drop off an Electronic file stored on a DVD or a BluRay disk. Please, NO BluRay disks playable in a BluRay Player accepted.
- •Send a link to a file stored in your personal Dropbox to email@example.com
- •Share via Google Drive with firstname.lastname@example.org
- •Make sure you submit either a paper or online playback form when you submit your file
- Playback on the Regional channel – for all edited products (does not apply to Tricaster files)
- •We supply programming for a Santa Clara County based regional channel (Comcast 27)
- •Check with Programming Manager to see if your content is suitable for the regional channel
- •Then provide a second file in one of the following formats:
- • H.264 720×480 AAC (audio) at 48 khz and 29.97 frames per second (Quicktime or .MOV wrapper)
- •MPEG with MP2 Audio that produces an .MPEG file
- Important Aesthetic and Technical Considerations
- •Include only the broadcastable part of your program
- •No color bars, no countdowns, no slates
- •Include only a few seconds of black at the beginning/end of the program
- •Deliver your content in its original aspect ratio
- •No letterboxing 16:9 content to make it 4:3
- •No pillarboxing 4:3 content to make it 16:9
- •Consider shooting your video in our preferred formats 720p 60 OR 1080i in the first place
- •If you shoot in higher resolutions, e.g. 1080p60, 4K, etc. you will have to downconvert the video to 1080i or 720p 60 when preparing the file you send to us.
- •720p 30 and 1080p 30 are not desirable broadcast formats. When they get converted for cable broadcast the slow frame rate becomes a visible distraction. If your source video is recorded at too low a resolution, too low a frame rate or is too heavily compressed, there is no way to “fix” that in postproduction.
Hot Tip – Download the free application “MediaInfo” software to review your file’s specifications in order to confirm that your video is in the right format before delivering it to us. Visit mediaarea.net/en/mediainfo