August 21, 2014
Call to Order
Agenda Changes, Additions and Deletions
2. 385 Sherman Avenue [13PLN-00528]: Request by Daniel Minkoff for Architectural Review of a proposal to demolish the existing 21,600 sq. ft. one-story office building and construct a 55,566 sf three-story, mixed-use building with 103 underground automobile parking spaces on two levels below grade on a 27,783 sf site. Zone District: Community Commercial (CC(2)). Environmental Assessment: An Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration were prepared and published on June 6, 2014 for the initial 30-day public review comment period that ended July 7, 2014. The ARB opened the public hearing July 17, 2014, received public testimony, considered the project and continued the public hearing to a date certain, August 21.
1. 250 Hamilton Avenue [14PLN-00053]: Request by Department of Public Works for Architectural Review of a Master Sign Program with Sign Exceptions to allow the installation of way finding signage at City Hall. Zone District: Public Facilities (PF). Environmental Assessment: Exempt from the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) per CEQA Section 15311. The ARB reviewed the item on July 17, 2014 and continued the review to date certain August 21.
3. 456 University Avenue [14PLN-00226]: Request by Gensler for Architectural Review of exterior modifications to the entry courtyard that include outdoor seating, new entry doors, signage, and lighting for a Category 1 historic resource (Varsity Theater). The project includes a Sign Exception to allow the reuse of the existing marquee for business signage, which the code only allows for a theater use, and the reuse of the poster cabinets. The proposed business, HanaHaus, includes eating and drinking and personal services (internet services, printing, etc.). Zone District: CD-C(GF)(P). Environmental Assessment: Categorically Exempt from the provisions of CEQA, Section 15331. The Historic Resources Board reviewed the project on August 6, 2014.
4. 441 Page Mill Road [13PLN-00307]: Request by Stoecker and Northway Architects Inc. on behalf of Norm Schwab for Site and Design Review of a proposal for a new three-story, 35 foot tall, 35,711 sf mixed-use building replacing four single family residential homes on a 26,926 sf site, providing 91 parking spaces on-grade and one level below grade, including three off-menu concessions requested pursuant to the State density bonus law, and requesting a Design Enhancement Exception for (a) two feet additional height above the 35 foot limit for a 37′ tall entry tower element, and (b) a 7′ setback from the front property line (3′ additional setback beyond the “build-to-line” ). Zone District: Commercial Service (CS) with a Site and Design (D) combining district. Environmental Assessment: An Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration were prepared and published on November 8, 2013, for the initial 30 day public review and comment period that ended December 9, 2013. The Planning and Transportation Commission recommended approval of the project on June 11, 2014.
5. 1730 Embarcadero Road [13PLN-00525]: Request by Alan Cross for Architectural Review of a new 7,380 square foot showroom, 3,087 square foot covered drop-off area, and associated site improvements for the existing Audi automobile dealership zone district PC-4846: Planned Community. Environmental Assessment: Exempt from the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) per Guidelines Section 15332.
Board/Staff Announcements, Updates, Reports, and Comments