BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO ALL RULES, TERMS, AND CONDITIONS.
Eligibility, Details, and Agreement
- The contest is open to those who live or work in the Silicon Valley
- The Contest will have two categories of entrants:
- Youth Category ‒ Students enrolled in 6th through 12th grades
- Adult Category ‒ Post high school
- Each entrant will be limited to three submissions.
- Manipulated images are acceptable.
- Minimum size is 1500 pixels on longest side. Maximum size is 1920 pixels on longest side.
- The Midpen Media Center reserves the right to decline or remove any work at their discretion.
Entering the Contest
- Entries must be submitted online as digital files.
- Each participant is limited to three entries.
- Images should be submitted in .jpeg or .jpg format and no larger than 10MB(?3). Please submit your image at the highest possible resolution (no larger than 300dpi).
- Visit https://midpenmedia.org/media-gallery/photos/photo-submission-page/ and follow the directions for submitting image files for the Youth and Adult categories.
Doug has been a photographer since his teenage years. His professional photography work includes portraiture, weddings, and commercial work. He taught technical photography to graduate students for many years at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Doug has photographed extensively in the U.S, Europe, and Africa. His work has been exhibited and recognized locally, and his photos have appeared in various publications over the years.
Gabrielle first became enamored with photography as a child collecting photographic postcards. She studied photojournalism in college. She gravitated toward human interest stories which led her to open her portrait and event business in 2000. Simultaneously she has traveled and photographed throughout Europe, Cuba, India and most recently Greece, nurturing her adventurous spirit and love of street photography. Gabrielle has exhibited her work extensively in and around the Bay Area.
Judging and Awards
There will be two types of awards:
- The Jurors will select five Finalists and one Winner in both the Youth and Adult categories.
- Photos will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit.
Popular Vote Awards: Youth and General category entries will be open for popular voting at the Midpen Media Center Facebook Page. <br>The entries receiving the most “Likes” on the Facebook Page will be awarded the Popular Vote.
- The Judges’ Winner and the Popular Vote winner in both the Adult and Youth categories will receive an archival printed, matted, and framed photograph of their winning entry, and a free video production workshop at the Media Center.
- All winning photographs will be on display for a 3-4 week showing at a Palo Alto Library. [Other prizes to be announced]
- Open dates for submitting photographs: March 21, 2019 – May 17, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
- Popular Voting on Midpen Media Facebook Page: May 29, 2019 – June 14, 2019 at 5 PM
- Winners Announced: June 17, 2019
- Public display of winner’s framed entries (Summer 2019): TBA
Entrants give the Midpen Media Center permission to use submitted photographs for promotional, educational or historical purposes. Entrants retain full ownership and copyrights of submitted entries.